Thursday, May 26, 2005

CARRIE WINS

Anybody else an American Idol junky? It's my guilty pleasure, but I'm a music junky, so it's explainable.

I was pleased last night to see Carrie Underwood win. I'm not lying when I say that I told my wife she would win the whole thing when I saw her audition tape. I never once thought it was in doubt. She had the look, the voice, the whole package and she won. Notice they didn't say how close the vote was? I doubt it was close.

My assessment of her months ago was she has a voice that is only one half-step behind Martina McBride's as the best voice in country music today. Her duo with Rascal Flatts showed that she is ready to perform at that level today. She will be a country music superstar. As a pop star, who knows -- maybe she will be one of those who can be a successful crossover artist? I just hope they don't try to make her something she isn't -- we'll see.

Having said that, I really, really liked Bo Bice (my wife's favorite), but his persona as a retro-hippy southern rocker just wasn't what I thought this show was looking for as it's "idol". His performance with Lynyrd Skynyrd (ex-Van Zant) was terrific, but highlighted the fact that Bo's talent is mostly as a superior cover artist, which he will no doubt continue to do for much larger paychecks than in the past.

Kudos to the American Idol folks. It's the best season so far and it will be a challenge for them to wind up at the end of next year's show with two as talented as Carrie and Bo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home