Thursday, March 11, 2004

GREAT INSIGHT FROM PEGGY NOONAN

I like Ms. Noonan a lot and her OpinionJournal article today (hat tip to Joe S.) is priceless.

I disagree with her on one small characterization in a comment I sent to the Journal:

Ms. Noonan hits the nail on the head when it comes to Kerry's character. I believe his tragic flaw is his self-doubt, which comes from a lack of self-confidence.

This explains his flip-flops. He makes a tough decision, probably as the result of a consensus of his advisors (though he has doubts). Things don't go perfectly. He then flip-flops.

Unlike most of us, however, he hasn't seemed to have acquired wisdom in the process. He hasn't learned to trust himself.

Unlike Ms. Noonan, when I see Kerry, I don't think of Rex Kramer, I think of Bill McKay, Robert Redford's character in "The Candidate". And I can picture Kerry, the morning after he beats Bush, turning to his handlers and saying "OK, what the hell do we do now?"


See my post below ("Bush's Challenge", March 9) for a similar comment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home