Friday, November 28, 2003

STILL GIVING HYPOCRITES A BAD NAME . . .

Whenever someone I know really gets off on a rant about some elected official, I always ask the same question -- who did you vote for? Often, I get the sheepish answer, "well . . . er . . . uh . . . I was out of town on election day" or some similar drivel. In other words, "I didn't really care enough at the time, but now I'm really pissed off that I didn't".

(That's excusable for us mere citizens. In fact, I will freely admit that I stupidly scheduled an overnight business trip on election day this year. I promise not to bitch about the people I didn't vote for or against.)

But there's a different class of "no" voters -- the folks who vote for a living. At the end of the day, our legislators do a lot of talking, but the only thing they do that really matters is vote for or against legislation. It's one thing they can't duck -- they either voted for it, against it, abstained, or were conveniently somewhere else that day.

So why am I not surprised to hear that Sens. Kerry and Lieberman were "no shows" on the Medicare vote? After all, they both railed against it. Yet it appears they didn't really want to go on the record. It's getting so you really can't tell who's for what these days. But it is pretty obvious to me that almost every one of the "Nine Dwarfs" doesn't really want you to know where they stand on anything.

To quote Andrew Sullivan about Kerry, "He has the backbone of Clinton and the charm of Gore."



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home